Saturday, April 3, 2010

Lemon Raspberry Streusel Muffins

These are my all time favorite muffins.  Every time I make them and take them somewhere I get compliments and get asked for the recipe.  My sister-in-law Julie got the recipe from me a few years ago and shared that she uses the base of this recipe and adds other ingredients to make different kinds of muffins.  She made one version for a family brunch that was really good. She omitted the lemon and raspberries and added mandarin oranges and coconut. They were very good.  I think she also made one with crushed pineapple and something else too.   You could use orange zest in place of the lemon etc.  So use your imagination and create your own version.  I will give you the original recipe here and then tell how I alter it to make it "healthier".  These would make a terrific addition to Easter brunch.

Lemon Raspberry Streusel Muffins


2 c. flour (I used 1 1/3 c. whole wheat and 2/3 c. all-purpose)
1/2 c. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. soda
1/2 t. salt
8 oz. lemon yogurt (I used vanilla)
1/2 c. oil (I used 1/4 c. oil + 1/4 c. applesauce)
1 t. grated lemon zest
2 eggs
1 c. fresh or frozen raspberries (if using frozen, do not thaw)

Topping:

1/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
2 T. butter

Heat oven to 400 F.  Grease 14-16 muffin cups.  In mixing bowl, beat eggs; add oil (and applesauce) and whisk; next add in lemon zest, yogurt and sugar. Sift all dry ingredients together (I don't sift) and mix well.  Gently stir in raspberries.  Spoon into muffin tins and top with streusel.  Bake 15-20 minutes.  Cool about 5 min. and using knife loosen muffins from tin and lift out. (You don't want to tip them out as they will lose the topping)

For topping:  Mix flour and sugar; cut in butter until 1/2 pea size crumbles and spoon evenly over muffin batter in pans.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment