Saturday, May 1, 2010

Crustless Asparagus Quiche

Tis the season for asparagus.  Marvelous!!!  Spring is such a hopeful time of year.  With all the blossoms, singing birds, rain showers, green grass, warmer temperatures how can you not feel hope?  Along with all of those niceties comes asparagus.  I love asparagus and for me the season is too short.  The patch in our garden only feeds us for a couple of weeks and that is not at all long enough for me.  Sure I can buy it at the grocery store, but that is not the same as harvesting it from your own yard!  I received an email the other day that touted the benefits of asparagus as a natural remedy against cancer.  Taken daily it claims to get rid of cancer.  According to the article, asparagus is the highest tested food containing glutathione, which is considered one of the body's most potent anticarcinogens and antioxidents.  Whether this is all true or not, I like feeling good about what I eat rather than the guilt that can go along with food.  I really don't need a good reason to eat asparagus.  So with that I leave you with the recipe for:

Crustless Asparagus Quiche


6 oz. lean ham, cubed
3/4 c. asparagus cut in 1" pieces
1 c. shredded Gruyere cheese, or Swiss
pinch nutmeg
8 large eggs,
1/2 c. milk or 1/2 and 1/2.
1/2 t. salt

Spray 9" pie pan with cooking spray.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Microwave asparagus pieces in 1T. water in covered microwave safe bowl 2 minutes just to soften a bit.  Drain.  Layer the ham, then asparagus, then cheese in bottom of pie plate.  Beat eggs, add milk, salt and dash nutmeg and beat until well combined.  Pour over ingredients in pie pan.  Bake 35-40 minutes until knife inserted into center comes out clear.  Let sit about 10 minutes, cut and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment