Saturday, March 13, 2010

Homemade Smart Balance

There is a lot of talk these days about saturated fat and the health risks involved with them.  Butter contains saturated fat.  I however LOVE butter!  I will not give it up.  I grew up on butter.  I don't know of anyone who does not love butter and things made with it. I have always felt it was healthier to eat butter than margarine.  I have been proved right in that thinking (at least for the current moment).  There is also much talk about the health benefits of consuming healthy fats and the benefits you get for your heart with the types of fats contained in olive oil.  I like olive oil too but don't enjoy it as much in certain things as I do butter.  I want health benefits, but also want butter flavor.  I have come up with a solution that satisfies my taste buds as well as benefits my heart.  This is stored in the refrigerator and stays spreadable even when cold.

Homemade Smart Balance


1 stick butter, softened
1/2 c. olive oil

Cream butter with electric mixer; with beaters running, drizzle in olive oil.  Beat until well blended.  Remove to
covered container and store in refrigerator.

Use as you would butter.  Use on vegetables, toast, fish anywhere you would spread butter.  I have never used this for baking so I can't guarantee the results in say cookies, but it has worked fine in cakes or biscuits and things like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment