Friday, January 1, 2010

French Onion Soup


HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!  2010 is going to be great!!!
I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable New Year's Eve.
Today I must set my sights on entertaining friends that are coming over tomorrow, which brings me to planning my menu.  I thought about this recipe, which I haven't made in years. I am not sure why as we always have loved this soup.  In our early years of marriage we would go out to this restaurant called The Overtime.  It was located on the river and had a nice atmosphere, was close to home and we loved their French Onion soup. They served it with mozzarella dripping hot and bubbly over the sides.  I set out to find a recipe that would come close to the one we had there so we could have it at home.  This is it. It is adapted from Crockery Cooking by Mable Hoffman.

French Onion Soup


3 large onions. sliced
1/2 c. butter, (I use 1/4c.)
2 T. instant beef bouillon or 6 bouillon cubes
4 c. hot water
1 t. Worchestershire sauce
1/2 t. salt
4 slices toasted French bread
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
4 slices mozzarella cheese

In large skillet saute onions in butter until on med-low heat for several minutes until lightly browned.  In crockpot, combine onions, water, bouillon, Worchestershire sauce and salt.  Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours. Divide into 4 heatproof serving bowls. Top each bowl with toasted French bread, sprinkle with Parmesan and top with mozzarella cheese.  Set on cookie sheet and broil until mozzarella is browned and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment