Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Biscotti

I love biscotti.  I don't know why I only make these at holiday time.  I suppose I should make a note to myself to make them on a regular basis.  I love to try new variations of these as well.  This one is one of our favorites.  You can dip half of each into melted chocolate, semi-sweet or milk chocolate, which gives somewhat of a gourmet touch for a cookie platter or in a cellophane bag tied with holiday ribbon.  They are also very good just the way they are.  I got this recipe from Tightwad Gazette quite a few years ago.

Biscotti


1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. butter
2 eggs
1 t. almond extract
1/4 t. anise extract
1 3/4 c. flour, divided
1/2 c. almond meal (ground almonds)
1/4 t. salt
1t. baking powder

Cream butter and sugar; add eggs and extracts; mix well.  Add dry ingredients using only 1 1/2 c. flour and mix well.  Stir in remaining 1/4 c. flour.  Cover and chill dough at least 2 hours.  Divide dough in half and shape int 12 inch log, using plastic wrap.  Flatten to 3/4" thickness.  Bake 350 degrees 20 minutes,  Put logs on wire rack to cool.  Slice diagonally into 1/4 inch slices.  Bake 300 degrees 15 minutes, turn over and bake 15 minutes more.  Remove back to wire rack to cool.  Store in covered container.

No comments:

Post a Comment