Thursday, December 10, 2009

Spinach Salad with Apple and Red Onion

I like to incorporate more fruits and veggies into our meals as I am sure many people do.  Spinach seems to be a staple in my kitchen throughout the winter months when the garden is covered in snow and the wonderful summer season of veggies has come to an end. Spinach makes a pretty winter salad and I have many variations to the spinach salads that I make and am always looking to find more.  This is one that is one of my favorite variations. I got it from 30 Minute Meals, a couple of years ago and have entertained with it a few times and have gotten rave reviews.

Spinach Salad with Apple and Red Onion


1 pound baby spinach, pre-washed
1 small Golden Delicious Apple, quartered, cored and sliced
1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 c. olive oil (I use only 2T.)
1 1/2 T. apple cider vinegar
1 t. grainy brown mustard
1 T. honey
coarse salt and black pepper

Place spinach, apple and onion in salad bowl.  Place oil, vinegar, mustard and honey in a small container with tight fitting lid.  Shake dressing to combine, 1 minute.  Pour dressing over salad and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Here is what I do:  I whisk dressing ingredients in small bowl and add apples and onions: let sit about 30 minutes to an hour to soften apples and onions.  I then divide spinach into individual salad bowls and top with dressing at serving time.  I also add a pinch of salt to the dressing and do not sprinkle salad with s&p.

No comments:

Post a Comment